The typical oil change will take anywhere from 20-45 minutes to complete. Let’s take a look at what an oil change consists of and what factors can affect how long this process takes.
How Long Does It Take For An Oil Change?
Vehicle owners can expect to wait an average of 30 minutes for an oil change. Since this is one of the most important preventative maintenance steps to take with your vehicle, it’s good to know the process is quite quick, overall.
Motor oil keeps your engine running clean at all times. As the oil flows through your engine, preventing both wear and friction, it picks up dirt and other contaminants. Over time, the oil becomes saturated, forming sludge. This can ultimately lead to engine damage and some costly repairs.
What Happens During An Oil Change?
The professionals will do much more than simply pour fresh motor oil into your engine. Let’s take a look at what this comprehensive preventative maintenance check includes:
Step 1. Change Oil
- The pros will appropriately change your oil at this time.
- The oil filter will also be changed out.
Step 2. Cleaning
- Exterior mirrors and windows will be cleaned.
- Interior floors will be vacuumed.
Step 3. Inspection
- Engine air filtration, belts, brake fluid level, coolant/antifreeze levels will be checked.
- The pros will also inspect your wiper blades, chassis, and exterior lights.
Step 4. Check And Fill
- Lastly, tire pressure, transmission fluid, and power steering fluid are checked and filled, when needed.
- Battery water and windshield washer fluid are checked at the end of the process.
DIY Vs Professional Oil Change
If you are attempting to change your own oil, it will more than likely take more than 45 minutes to complete. The biggest issue with DIY oil changes is properly disposing of the oil. Simply dumping the oil is illegal.
Anyone changing their own oil must collect the dirty, used oil and transport it to a recycling or disposal center. Considering the potential hassle, it’s always recommended to take your car for a professional oil change.