Labor Estimates for a Clutch Replacement
Labor price estimates range between $526 and $664, while parts prices range between $703 and $755. Estimates don’t include taxes and fees.
What is a Vehicle Clutch?
Clutches are used in vehicles that have manual transmissions. They transfer the power the engine makes to the transmission, causing the vehicles wheels to turn.
How Does it Work?
When the vehicle is in gear, power is exchanged from the engine to the clutch into the transmission. Depressing the clutch pedal releases the clutch friction disc from the vehicle’s flywheel, briefly disconnecting the engine from the transmission, allowing the vehicle to shift between gears.
What are Symptoms Related to a Bad Clutch?
A failing clutch could shudder or slip, or it may be unusually hard to depress the pedal. Changing gears can become harder. The vehicle’s engine may rev but won’t increase in speed or the vehicle might not move at all.
- The vehicle may poorly function: it might start out slow even though the engine is racing. Or it might be difficult to get the vehicle into reverse, or into gear at all.
- Rackets and bangs can indicate problems: the clutch pedal might make noise, or the transmission could make noise while the vehicle is in neutral. You might hear growling or squealing as you depress the pedal or grinding noises as you shift gears.
- The pedal can give you an indication: it might chatter, pulsate or, vibrate, be rigid and hard to depress, drop to the floorboard and stay there, or feel spongy or connected loosely.
How Often do Clutches Need to be Replaced?
Replacement periods differ by vehicle and the way people drive. Just like brake pads, clutches don’t have a suggested replacement mileage. They will wear down, but some can last well over 100,000 miles.
Can I Drive With a Clutch Problem?
No, it’s typically impossible to drive with a worn or failed vehicle clutch. Although the transmission can be put into gear, the worn clutch disc won’t be able to produce enough torque for the vehicle to move.
Tips to Shopping for a Clutch Repair Shop
- It’s a good idea to look for a mechanic prior to you actually needing their services. If you do your homework and find a mechanic prior to your vehicle needing service — you won’t be trapped with the first one you find when you need it.
- Find for repair shops that are ASE certified (Blue Seal).
- Look for clutch repair technicians that are certified by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence.
OBD codes related to Clutch Replacement
- P2853: Clutch “A” Pressure Discharge Performance
- P2855: Clutch “A” Pressure Charge Performance
- P2789: Clutch “A” Adaptive Learning at Limit
Bridwell Automotive Offers Clutch Replacement In Scottsdale, Arizona
Our dedicated team of ASE Master Technicians will replace the clutch in your vehicle quickly and within your budget. You can schedule your clutch replacement with Bridwell Automotive Center by using our contact form. Stop by our Automotive Repair Shop in Scottsdale located at 7171 E Lincoln Dr. Scottsdale, Arizona 85253 or by giving Bridwell Automotive Center a call today at (480) 948-4781.